Sunday, November 14, 2010

It’s a Start

Well, I had to take a little break from grading, didn’t I? 

I thought I’d play with Sharon’s request for little trees from the Pyramid Triangle foundation.  First, I designed a Quilt Layout Diagram in EQ.

pyramid tridangle tree pincushion

Do NOT go ahead and try and use that (just in case anyone is so moved.)  One, you might notice that I have some of the letters labeled wrong in the center bottom triangle.  But more importantly, after my first run through this, I’ve decided that instead of letters I am going to (for the first time with these foundations) use numbers instead – to indicate the order in which to lay down patches.

Still, moving on with my first take: I put down the first set of patches as usual.

alt

After the second set was added:

alt

Adding the third patch:

alt 

After placing those single triangle above the pieced pair, I decided that was a mistake, too.  With the next two columns of trees I left those off till later (you’ll see).  Still, after adding the final triangle, moving bravely forth, I started the next column of “trees.”

alt

Here it is with both the second and third columns having been added, though just the triangles that required piecing:

alt

And, now it seems a good time to add those single triangles that form the top of the tree.

alt

Since not all the rows of the foundation need to be (or should be) joined, I cut the foundation apart into sections.

alt

And then joined the rows.  After I joined the rows, I cut the trees into separate units.

alt

I used Fons and Porter’s Pyramid Triangle ruler to cut the setting triangles.  Very easy: Place two squares right sides together and square up the ruler.

alt

Then pivot the fabric and cut another patch set, leaving just a narrow strip of waste.

alt

The pieces orient correctly for your little trees.

alt

Sew them on and add a pieced trunk at the bottom and there you go, a little tree.  (I’m not quite sure how I got my tree trunk off center.  Perhaps it is trying to match the Scotch Pine in our back yard that is most decidedly wonky).

alt

One foundation will make 12 little trees. 

So, I have a little work to redesign the Quilt Layout Diagram and take some better pictures of the piecing process, but there you go.  A couple borders and I think this would make a pretty cute pincushion, or sash a 3 by 4 grid for a mini quilt.

Plus, I have another idea for making a mini quilt using parts of the foundation to create trees.  Good thing Thanksgiving Break is coming up! 

Ah, I just remembered I wanted to include a picture of me in Olathe.  Here I am, at the evening lecture.

alt

2 comments:

  1. You really came up with a wonderful pattern, and you look lovely in the pic Terrie!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, what darling little trees! You just look so put together in your presentation...coming to Dallas any time soon??

    ReplyDelete