Friday, March 4, 2016

Bits and Pieces, This and That

Let's hear it for progress in the sewing room. There's a lot to do yet, but there are corners shaping up.


I've been having fun deciding what quilts to bring out for a change. Those three quilts above? I don't think I've ever had them out for display.  Now, that's just wrong.

Meanwhile, some things remain the same. Lulubelle is back in her corner.


I've taken squatter's rights to the spare room and a bunch of stuff that used to be crowded in this spot is now out for good. Even my own true love noticed. "Wow, that shelf is a whole lot neater." So, yeah, when even the DH can see the difference, I know it's dramatic.

I'm also working on finishing up some of those little quilts in process. Hand quilting!


I'm also playing with the idea of making a grouping of little red and white quilts. I thought I'd run through a bunch of the foundations from Miniatures in Minutes and see how it goes. I'm starting with the 13-Square foundation. In retrospect, this is the foundation I wished I had used in the book to illustrate the Fold and Sew technique.  It's the easiest of all the foundations. Works like a charm.

An additional plus? It's another foundation I can use the AccuQuilt GO! for as well. Since the patches for the 13-Square are just one inch squares, I use the 1" Strip die. I run a length through once to get 1" strips and then run the strips through cross-wise in order to get the squares. (The ruler just helps me insure I've got the strips at a 90 degree angle.)


Two passes through the GO! and I have two satisfying little piles.


This is how far I got on the foundation tonight before it was time for evening socializing and wine.


So between this, that, and the other thing, the sewing room is a regular beehive of activity. Color me thrilled.

6 comments:

  1. Fabulous progress both in your sewing area and the start on your red and white grouping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO happy with the sewing room! And the red and white is just so crisp and classic. Love it.

      Delete
  2. I love your little quilts up on the walls and Lulubelle looks very happy with her new tidy digs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really loving getting those quilts up on the wall, too. It feels both fresh and familiar at the same time. Our sewing rooms are such a retreat! I'm feeling very grateful to have one!

      Delete
  3. You have given me some incentive, especially now that I have a Go cutter and your book. How are you attaching your small quilts to the wall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've posted a new blog entry and if you scroll towards the bottom, you'll see where I talk about how I hang my quilts.

      Delete